Skip to content

What is it derived from and what do they mean?

Ask for help here ;)

What is it derived from and what do they mean?

Postby calabi » 07 Dec 2012, 19:12

I'm a bit confused and lost with this. What is the language derived from is it C# or J. Because do you have to explicitly declare variable types.

What do some of the categories mean like VT, VIZIO, UniverseData. I mean is there docs for for some of these or maybe even just examples of what they are supposed to be used for.
calabi

Re: What is it derived from and what do they mean?

Postby tutiplain » 10 Dec 2012, 15:41

Hi, If I understand your question, you seem to be overwhelmed by the number of variable types available in Antares when declaring a new variable, and wondering from which of Unity's language they come from.

In my *very limited* experience, most of those com from within Unity itself, so if you were scripting, they would be the same no matter whether you are using C#, JS or Boo. Examples are: UnityEngine.Transform, UnityEngine.RigidBody, Vector3, Vector2, etc.

The more primitive types, like float and int, are also pretty much the same no matter the language. In Antares, though, "float" seems to translate into "Single", and "int" to "Int16". These types, Int16 and Single, come from the C# namespaces. I'm not really sure if you can declare an Int16 variable in Javascript.

Other types, like System.Object, which the default type selected when you insert a Super Universal Wizard block, definitely come from C#.

Given the complexity of Antares Universe, I'd say it was written in C#. Categories like UniverseData, VT and VIZIO seem to be namespaces created specifically for Universe. Of these, so far, I've only used blocks in the VIZIO category. The This Get blocks, in particular, have been extremely helpful. I use them all the time. But, in the end, they map down to types available in UnityEngine itself (This Get Transform returns a UnityEngine.Transform type value).

I know this is a pretty generic answer, but I hope my brief rant is helpful in some way :)
tutiplain

Postby holyjewsus » 11 Dec 2012, 00:36

I think everything is derived from the mono project at it's base, and that is based on .net. So really system.object.
holyjewsus

Postby Kamilla1 » 24 Nov 2015, 14:18

Very good and informative exchange .. Thank you!
Kamilla1

Return to HELP!!!